A Community Organizer Job Description:
Develops community action by identifying issues; developing and leading action plans; promoting participation and support.
* Identifies community issues by forming focus groups of community residents; analyzing statistics; conferring with community agencies and people in contact with the community;
* Develops community issues campaigns by setting goals; evaluating influences, obstacles, and options; identifying resources; charting a course of action; organizing activities; preparing media plans; writing and distributing media releases.
* Recruits community activists by meeting with residents where they congregate; presenting and explaining issues; stimulating and enlisting support; organizing activities; providing instruction; identifying, coaching, and training leaders.
* Obtains resources by writing grants and proposals; presenting the case for support to funding groups; making personal solicitations.
* Implements community programs by developing program content; assembling resources; supervising activities; promoting participation; coordinating efforts among related service agencies.
* Evaluates community programs by measuring and analyzing results; comparing results to plans.
* Manages funds by receiving and disbursing funds; tracking and monitoring expenses; implementing cost-saving actions.
* Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks.
* Enhances community reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Verbal Communication, Informing Others, Community Outreach, Building Relationships, Supports Diversity, People Skills, Teamwork, Initiative, Motivating Others, Vision, Decision Making